Friday, January 30, 2009

practice your needlework



After reading up on sailing square-riggers in the 1800's, I found that the average sailor was usually extremely skilled with needle and thread, having spent countless hours repairing sails and other fabric aboard ship, not to mention repair of their own garments. I made this attempt at cross-stitching to sharpen my skills. I just chose a thread color, fabric color, laid it out on paper and found it is all just counting stitches. I made this to document Alexa's first day standing up on a surfboard and completed it in a 16 hour marathon stitching session so it could be shipped last minute to the East Coast, where she was vacationing for Christmas. My roommate Johnny thought I was crazy until he saw the finished product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

the playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Followers