Thursday, July 2, 2009

I arrived on the ship and now it's work nonstop

I arrived on The Bounty the 29th at about 5pm. It's just about at the full complement of crew now, which is 20. My previous berth, which was a top bunk and totally show and large was taken since I was gone so long so I am relegated to a bottom bunk with plastic bags nailed up all over. When the ship is heeled one way or another when we are underway, the bilge water sloshes from side to side and comes up into the bunk thru the cracks. Did I mention that the bunk also leaks from above? I'll fix all of that here in a day or so. I'll have the most kick-ass bottom bunk on the ship. That I promise. I'll start by pulling all of that plastic down and filling all holes and seams with a sealant of some sort. I'll then make a mattress extension since the berth hooks to the left. That will make it so I can lean up against the hull for reading or whatever. I'll also buy some air freshener because the 4 man berth I am in smells like a 4 month old cast dunked in toilet water. Not much air circulation down there, unfortunately. I will say that I am surrounded by great people that are teaching me how to be a competent sailor, which is what I am here to learn. My friend Svetta is here. She and I took the Coast Guard Certification together last month. Adam, Sara, Gabe the younger are here. Caleb and Rebecca, who I first met in San Pedro are here for the night. They are on vacation but will be joining us in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The last few days had the crew sanding and varnishing brightwork, recieving and stowing 6 months worth of food for a crew of 20, and this afternoon in the pouring rain I mastered 'seizing'. That is where you take a length of twine 1 and 1/2 your outstretched arms length and use it to securely tie two lengths of line together. Today we secured the shrouds, which had been tightened up for our voyage. That keeps the masts from moving around. I have a bit of a sore throat but hope to be well enough to go to Time Square in Downtown NYC to visit the Sam Ash Superstore. I want to buy an acoustic-electric guitar. Caleb left his beautiful Takamine on board, which I found out this afternoon when they arrived. They had it stashed in their closed-up cabin. I would like on that is electric, though. Yesterday after our work was completed and dinner was over I walked to a Guitar Center at Union Square, which had no good deals. I then walked to the Sam Ash at Time Square but they had closed. Toys R Us was across the street so I went there looking for the Tony Hawk Helmet Cam but it was discontinued a few months back. The computer in Customer Service noted that there was one on the floor so of course I took an hour and a half looking everywhere for it. No dice. They finally kicked me out and I walked back. I walked almost 6 miles and all I got were some batteries and some cookies. Oh yeah. So I left Pier 66 on this journey and it was humid so I took off my shirt and started walking. I noticed that nobody else here had no shirt on but I didn't really care. I hooked a right at 8th ave and two or three blocks down and I'm in the middle of gay new york city. All the bars on the ave are open to the street and I'm getting fully harassed by dudes hanging out the windows. I put on my shirt and high stepped it out of that zoo. Those guys are nuts! That happened to me in San Francisco about 10 years ago but they gave me walking directions to the bar where I was to meet my friends at and they sent me straight thru the castro district. Bastards. I'm off to plan my bunk renovations.

7 comments:

  1. Gabe - That sucks your accomodations smell like MANthol-eucalyptass. I'm sure you'll get everything figured out and thanks for the detailed account of your journey thus far.

    Lucky, Sid, Ava, Zowie and I at at Crab Cooker in Newport Beach last night and everyone was wondering what Gabe was up to! Sid was telling me she arranged for a schuttle that got you to the ship for $19 which sounds like a great bargain!

    Well stay strong and hold fast and tidy up that bunk! Have fun and be safe and remember the seahorse brings a sailor good luck as does the albatross bird (that was random)!

    Man that helmet cam idea would be awesome if you could find one!

    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUNNY HOW YOU ALWAYS END END UP IN THE GAY PART OF TOWN WITHOUT YOUR SHIRT ON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wanting to make light of things...ur not gay are you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. going to bed "Ha" Bar has been good ! and listening to the silversun pickups. sid

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, work on a ship is never easy but it can be fun. It is a great way to see the world for free and be exposed to the different cultures of the world and meet new friends along the way.

    ReplyDelete

the playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Followers